Let’s talk about the truth of why most diets don’t work… and let you in on 10 ways for you to start discovering the perfect diet to lose weight and gain energy.
You’ve probably heard the statistic that 95% of dieters can’t keep the weight off, and when they gain it back they often gain MORE than they weighed before.
It is exhausting and stressful to be constantly trying to get rid of those extra kilos that have snuck on over the years while you were too busy with life and weren’t looking.
Constant dieting and failing can and will mess up your metabolism.
While restricting what you eat can help you lose weight it doesn’t work in the long term.'What diet is right for the woman standing next to you might be completely wrong for you.'Click To Tweet
10 ways for you to start discovering the perfect diet to lose weight and gain energy.
Look at these 10 paradigms
- There are as many “right” diets as there are people on the planet!
- What’s healthy for one person might not be healthy for YOU.
- The body has an innate wisdom beyond any book or authority.
- Diets are not useful as dogma, but they ARE useful as a reference.
- Your body is the ultimate dietary authority for every phase of your life.
- The diet you eat changes as YOU change.
- Your body is the most powerful, least expensive and BEST dietary experimentation lab.
- The RELATIONSHIP you have with food & your body impacts your health more than the food you eat.
- Symptoms, cravings and behaviours are not the problems, they are your only solutions till now.
- Nourishment is about much more than just food.
It can be scary to think that you are the ultimate authority on what diet is best for you but good grief how liberating it is at the same time. You can toss out all you know about diets and follow your own path and it’s super simple.
What To Eat And Drink
The “calories in, calories out” philosophy is outdated.
Rather than watch your total calories pay more attention to the types of carbohydrates, fat and protein you eat and the ratios you eat them in.
Ideally, you need a varied diet full of minimally-processed foods (i.e. fewer “packaged” “ready-to-eat” foods). This simple concept is paramount for weight loss, energy, and overall health and wellness.
Every day this is what you should aim for:
- A colourful array of whole, nourishing plant foods. These should be 75% of your meal. You need the fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. These foods slowly release their sugar to give you energy all day and to help you feel fuller longer. Processed, carbs, on the other hand, convert to sugar quickly and include cereals, bread, pasta, potatoes and high sugar items.
- Enough protein, and for women that is anywhere between .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Remember it depends on how sedentary and how old you are. If you are strength training eat more and if you are over 50 eat more as it will guard against losing muscle mass. Protein also gives you all of those essential amino acids (bonus: eating protein can increase your metabolism). Protein should be considered a side dish not a main.
- Healthy fats and oils, never ever, ever hydrogenated oil. There is a reason some fatty acids are called “essential” – you need them as building blocks for your hormones and brain as well as to be able to absorb essential fat-soluble vitamins from your uber-healthy salads. Use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, eat your organic egg yolks, avocados and get grass-fed meats when possible. You don’t need to overdo it, just make sure you’re getting some high-quality fats.
How To Eat And Drink
Are you rushed, not properly chewing your food, and possibly suffering from gastrointestinal issues?
Try Mindful Eating
Mindful eating means to take smaller bites, eat slowly, chew thoroughly, and savour every bite. Notice and appreciate the smell, taste and texture. Breathe. And SLOW DOWN!
This gives your digestive system the hint to prepare for digestion and to secrete necessary enzymes.
Eating slower often means eating less and so can aid weight loss. Winning! Did you know that it takes about 20 minutes for your brain to know that your stomach is full? Again, because it cannot be said enough. SLOW DOWN!
Practice Taking 20 Minutes To Eat A Meal
It seems like a long time but if your chatting, putting down your knife and fork between bites and breathing it shouldn’t be too hard. Maybe start by adding a minute a day to however long it takes you now until you reach the goal of 20 minutes.
More thoroughly chewed food is easier to digest and it makes it easier to absorb all of those essential nutrients.
Eating while you are standing, working, watching T.V. cannot, in any universe, be mindful. The less stress you have while eating, the more nutrition your body is able to absorb and the more likely you will be able to recognize when you are full.
Smoothies can be healthy and a fabulously easy way to get lots of veggies, hello leafy greens! but consider a large smoothie to be a full meal, not a snack. And don’t gulp it down too fast. Consider getting a Nutribullet to easily make smoothies to take anywhere.
If your smoothies aren’t satisfying enough try adding a spoon of fibre like ground flax or chia seeds.
Green Smoothie Recipe
• Handful of whatever greens take your fancy
• 1 tablespoon chia seeds
• 1 cup of any liquid that takes your fancy but you might stick to water, coconut water, milk, coconut milk, almond milk. I’m not sure if wine would be all that nice.
• 1 frozen chopped kiwi or 1 cup berries, or both.
• 1 tsp coconut oil. Adds good fat and helps the body absorb the nutrients from the greens and fruit.
• Concentrated stevia to taste if you like it a little sweeter.
Add ingredients to blender in order listed (you want your greens on the bottom by the blade so they blend better and have the chia on the bottom to absorb some liquid before you blend).
Wait a couple of minutes for the chia seeds to start soaking up the almond milk.
Blend, Serve and Enjoy!
Bonus: Chia seeds not only have fibre and essential omega-3 fatty acids but they contain all of the essential amino acids from protein.
Follow these simple suggestions and you will be a long way towards finding the perfect diet to lose weight and gain energy.