I urge you to try the caffeine free chai latte recipe at the end of this post. It is seriously yum!
What is the drink that you take to bed with you a glass of water, a cup of tea or are you more of a cocoa or milo, fluffy dressing gown and animal slippers type of person?
I am always on the lookout for delicious drinks that I can have before bed or in the afternoon. Check out this list for some great ideas.
Some of these suggestions may also aid in a BETTER night’s sleep.
Make sure to check out the two recipes below for two special alternatives.
- Valerian root – the theory is that it increases the level of a neurotransmitter GABA which can increase sleepiness. Interesting fact – that is the same neurotransmitter that is increased when you practice breathing eg 4-7-8 method.
- Chamomile tea – increases your levels of glycine a neurotransmitter that relaxes your nerves
- Cherry juice – tart cherry juice although high in carbs is a great source of melatonin a hormone which helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle.
- Milk – contains tryptophan which signals the brain to produce serotonin, a serenity boosting neurotransmitter.
- Almond milk – It has calcium which helps the brain produce melatonin and magnesium which can help you to relax.
Apple Cider Vinegar Tea
- 1 cup hot water (not boiling)
- 2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- Sweetener of your choice
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
Caffeine Free Chai Latte
- 1 bag of rooibos chai tea (rooibos is naturally caffeine-free)
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (creamy is preferred)
- 2 dates (optional)
- Cover the teabag and dates (if using) with 2 cups of boiling water and steep for a few minutes.
- Discard the tea bag & place tea, soaked dates, tahini & almond butter in a blender.
- Blend until creamy.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Tip: You can try this with other nut or seed butter to see which flavour combination you like the best. Cashew butter anyone?